Saturday, February 12, 2011

Nagpur Day 1

Another day in India has ended. I can’t believe I’ve already been here a week and our time is running out. We spent all day yesterday traveling. We got up at 3:00 in the morning for a flight to Mumbai and then had a long layover before our flight to Nagpur. All of these flights are getting exhausting and the people in the airports aren’t at all patient with people who don’t speak their languages. Everything is done differently in the airports than here in America and it’s really confusing…but we made it.

We spent today serving at a CSC (Child Survival Center). This is a Compassion project that serves mothers and their babies. It offers these women prenatal care, gives the children their immunizations and does twice monthly home checks to see that the children are eating right and are healthy and thriving.

Like the other places we have visited, we were welcomed with pomp and circumstance and flower garlands. I could get used to this…just kidding. We were honored with a program of cultural dances by local children. At one point they had us come up onto the stage to dance with them. I took a bad step at the edge of the stage and fell off onto a pile of rocks about 2 feet down. Luckily I was in the back row and almost nobody saw me…I’m such a clutz! I escaped with only a minor cut and scrape to my knee and a slightly bruised ego.

We served the mothers and their children a hot lunch and then had a delicious lunch of our own. The food has improved dramatically since we arrived in Nagpur…I’ve actually enjoyed eating since I got here. After lunch we went to the home of one of the women that is served by the CSC. Once again, the home was one room approximately 7x7. Five people lived in this house, 3 adults and 2 children. She was telling us that before her daughter was in the program she had regular seizures but now, since she gets regular medical care and medication, she has been seizure free for the past 6 months. What a blessing to see human hands on the love of Jesus. So many of the workers could make more money elsewhere, but choose to live their lives loving these people who need them desperately.

Once again, when we left, the neighbors were all gathered around because they heard their were white people in the village. We are like a walking freak show in these tiny remote villages.

The ride back to the hotel took about 1.5 hours and let me take this opportunity to say something about the driving in India…it is not for the faint of heart. First of all, they drive on the wrong side of the road, which totally freaks me out. Second of all, EVERYONE in India is in a hurry, so they don’t bother with lanes or safe distances or speed limits. They drive with their horns and headlights. I have never in my life heard so much honking. You honk to get someone out of your way. Your honk if you’re passing. You honk if the guy in front of you is going too slow…you honk and honk and honk. Also, you seldom drive more that 2 feet away from the guy in front of you, no matter your speed, that way we can fit more bikes, scooters, motorcycles, buses and cows on the highway….it’s and incredible experience to ride in these buses with Indian drivers. It’s the same way on the streets and in hotels. Men and women will plow you over getting out of an elevator and in the “women only” lanes of the security checks in the airport, Indian women will blatantly step in front of you in line. It’s kind of become a game for us as to who can stop the most intruders….crazy!!

The food at our new hotel is really good thankfully, but we’ve learned things like in India, there is only one key to your room. If you leave for the day with your room key, the room will not be cleaned. My shower has no ledge between the shower and the rest of the bathroom, only two small drain holes so most days when I’m done with my shower ¾ of the bathroom is flooded…interesting design. And there are buckets everywhere, I’m not quite sure what they’re for, but I’m not touching them…eewww.

Thanks again for all of your prayers. Please be in special prayer for me as my legs continue to swell badly and it’s giving me the willies a little bit. I have serious CANKLES! But seriously, the swelling is causing pain in my feet and we do a great deal of walking throughout the day.

I promise I'll post pictures later today.

Love to you all!

0 comments: