Well, I am finally on my way back home. It has been an amazing experience that was ran the gamut of emotions and experiences. Our schedules were packed pretty tightly and we had little down time so I was unable to blog like I had wanted to and share my experiences.
Things ranged from the very high, when I got to meet my dear Sanjay after about 13 years of sponsoring him and sharing a very special day. I could not have imagined things going any better unless I had gotten to bring him home to add him to our family. There was also sadness on the day we visited the project that serves the children of the rag pickers. These people live around a city dump and when the garbage is dumped daily, they go through other people’s waste looking for things to sell or recycle and that’s how they make their living. Compassion has rescued these children from having to do this any longer although most of their parents still do. When we were spending time with the children at the project, I had brought along some nail polish to paint the toenails of the girls. As I painted their nails I could see that most of their toenails were infected with fungus as a result of walking through the garbage daily. They were dirty and ragged and it broke my heart to see them. In the same way, it blessed us all so to hear them praising Jesus and reciting their Bible verses. God is changing lives in India.
So, I leave with mixed emotions…There are things I will cherish about India and things I definitely will not miss.
Things I will miss about India
1. The beautiful children and wonderful staff and parents we met at the Compassion office.
2. The fragrant smell of incense that wafted from many stores and homes.
3. Nan- I probably spelled that wrong but it’s an Indian bread served at most meals that I pretty much lived on.
4. My amazing fellow Compassion sponsors and staff. We had a lot of laughs and special times. I will never, ever forget these beautiful people and will cherish their memories always.
5. The beautiful flowers that are everywhere in Indian, in women’s hair, at the doors of homes and shops. There are literally flowers everywhere and I loved that.
Things I will not miss about India
1. Everyone in India is in a hurry and will knock you down or step in front of you without a second thought.
2. The odor, smoke and dust that filled out noses from the street side fires, garbage and dirt.
3. Indian food….so spicy you just wouldn’t believe it and predominantly vegetarian.. This little Southern girl needs a hamburger in the worst way!
4. The traffic. I’m convinced that the Indian traffic is where Disney got their inspiration for Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride!
5. The garbage piled everywhere…I mean everywhere. It was depressing for me, it has to be depressing for those who have to face it every day.
I am so glad I came to India. God is working in a mighty way through some amazing people. I believe that the future generations of India will forever be changed due to their obedience to God’s call despite overwhelming odds and circumstances. Of their five loaves and two fishes God is going to multiply and do great things in this future generation. I, for one will be waiting in expectation to see what wonderful things God is going to accomplish in the country of India.
I’m so anxious to talk to all of you face to face…and to sleep in my own bed! Will post pictures tomorrow…promise!
Love to all!
Getting a Conversation Started in the Storm
10 years ago







0 comments:
Post a Comment