Tuesday, February 8, 2011

India Day 1

Wow! We're certainly not in Kansas anymore. At the end of my first full day in India I can only think about one thing...sleep!
The day began with breakfast (as most people's day does) although if American's ate as spicy of food as they do here, we would be a much smellier nation. Everything at the buffet is listed only under it's Indian name so I have no idea what I'm eating. It has made for some pretty spicy surprises!!! If I could sum up the food here in one word, it would have to be YUK! What I wouldn't give for a Big Mac right now!
Today we visited the Compassion office here in Chennai. We got to meet the staff and hear about the amazing work they are doing with the children of India. The goals that they have for these kids, and their parents will hopefully one day revolutionize the family in India and bring people out of poverty and substance abuse dependence so that they can end the cycle of poverty and despair this country suffers from. 40% of the world's poor are in the country of India. Compassion has some great plans to help end that sad statistic.
We were welcomed by beautiful girls in saris tossing flower petals on our heads as we walked up the stairs towards them. In the center of the room we entered was a large candle stand with circles of flower petals around it. In the basins of the stand was oil and candle wicks. We were all given a candle with which to light one of the wicks as a sign of welcome. We then walked down the hallway toward the meeting room. As we walked we were sprinkled with rose water, our hands were rubbed with sandalwood paste, flowers were put in our hair and we were given sugar candy to eat. Each thing had a special welcome meaning for us.




In the conference room, we were greeted by young girls doing an Indian dance to a praise song, followed by worship time with the Indian staff. It was a lovely time together.

Oh, and I forgot one thing here...the TRAFFIC! Oh my goodness, it makes New York City look like a kiddie ride...no traffic lights, no cops directing...just millions of people honking their horns as they come close to killing each other...there's just no way to describe the mayhem! I'm so glad that God is on the throne but I'd rather have him behind the wheel!


Tomorrow we will visit some of the students that have begun college training in preparation for graduating from the compassion program. We're all looking forward to Thursday when we will finally get to meet our children...I'll keep you posted!

0 comments: