Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Changes...

I haven't blogged in a few weeks because things have been pretty much the same around here...and as I thought about it today, I realized that that fact was pretty good. Things have settled down here and life has for the most part fallen into a very natural rhythm. Having Devin around is as natural as any other family member now and I can hardly remember life without him. As we enter the last few weeks before we're actually allowed to file for adoption, I'm surprised and yet very grateful for just how smoothly the transition has been.

God has such a sense of humor. The other day Devin was giving me a hard time about leaving them for work in the morning and as I left, I said over my shoulder, "Well you'll just have to pray that I lose my job or something." Wouldn't you know it, 2 hours later, I lost my job. (Now I have Devin praying about the lottery!) It was quite a shock but now as I think about it, I'm getting excited about what the future may have in store for me. I just thought the timing of this was interesting...

Speaking of timing...my last day on the job is the day we can finally file for adoption...which is also exactly one year to the day that we started this whole process...big things are coming my friends....

Today, Jay and I, along with a few other couples were asked by our social worker to come in and speak at one of her parenting classes for prospective foster/adoptive parents. Maybe that's what I'll do with my new-found spare time. I think it would be great to be able to advocate for these kids...just give me a soap box and let me loose!

Things I'm Looking Forward To Once the Adoption is Final
1. Not having to listen to parenting advice from a counselor who has never been a parent.
2. Keeping my house clean and neat all the time just in case I get a visit.
3. Being able to take my son out of the state on vacation without having to have a judge tell me it's OK.
4. No more court hearings, judicial reviews, guardian ad lit ems, counseling appointments, monthly visits....and all the other blah blah associated with the system.
5. Being able to officially call my son by our last name!

Devin has picked up one behavior that I am concerned about. Our beloved pastor has gotten into the practice of wearing a bow tie. Now my son is convinced that he wants to be just like Pastor Jon and also wants to wear a bow tie. (Yipes!) If he asks me to buy him a scooter and starts carrying a man-purse, I may have to change churches!!! :)

Finally, I'm going to plug my friend David's blog. David is a friend of mine from Nyack College a million years ago. He's an accountant...don't let that scare you...he's a funny one! He's such a gifted writer and I've enjoyed his blog so much I thought I'd share it with you. (http://balloom.blogspot.com) Give him a read if you're not already reading a million blogs a day. He'll make you laugh and think at the same time!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey friend, sorry about the job! I can't say I am surprised!! It is hitting everyone. Churches don't seem to be exempt!! Glad you are back to blogging a bit. Missed ya!! Have a good rest of the week!

Brandi said...

Can I give my list to Devin on what to pray for? too funny!

I love you and am glad that things are going so well! I LOVE the one year later thing! how cool is that? God is soooooo good!

Bran