
In different times and in different ways, our heavenly Father offers us a simple proposition: Follow me beyond what you can control, beyond where your own strength and competencies can take you, and beyond what is affirmed or risked by the crowd-and you will experience me and my power and my wisdom and my love.
Jesus beckons me to follow him to that place of weakness when I risk the vulnerability of a child so that I might know how strong my Father is and how much he loves me.
- From Just Courage by Gary A. Haugen
So many people, when they find out about our adoption plans, especially of a 14 year-old, can't help themselves. They have to tell us how crazy we are and how much this is going to change our lives. (like we didn't already know) I so appreciated Gary Haugen's talk because it affirmed in me that as Christians, WE ARE supposed to be the ones doing the crazy things that God is passionate about. One of his quotes was, "If God is passionate about getting it done, then He is also responsible forgetting it done. God simply asks us to give what we have.".
My confidence is great in these truths:
God is loves the world.
God is passionate about the poor, widows, orphans and those who cannot help themselves.
My passion and calling from God lines up with His in these areas.
Therefore, God will be responsible for getting it done.
I know it won't be easy, and sometimes it won't be fun. But how can we stand by and simply offer lip service to the things God has called us to do?
That being said, let me share a couple of pictures from my day yesterday. By the way, Demetree has informed me that he will be changing his name to Devin, so from this point forward I will be referring to him as Devin because I need the practice.
The GOV where Devin lives, held an Olympics and I was invited to attend. I am so excited because every visit gets more comfortable and he talks more openly with me. This also means every visit gets scarier because the reality of a teen aged boy is setting in and I realize how unequipped I may be!
He won all of the events that he was entered in and seemed very pleased that I was taking picture of everything. He said, "I guess you'll be posting these on the internet, huh?" He invited me to stay for the medals ceremony and was proud to pose with his medals.
My prayer for just some time to sit in the quiet and talk to him was graciously answered by God. He rambled on about shoes and cars and various other things, but we talked and he looked me in the eye and it was good - and scary!
But, as Gary Haugen says, "Jesus didn't die to make us safe, but to make us brave!"
God made us for adventure and it's just about to start!
Getting a Conversation Started in the Storm
10 years ago







5 comments:
I am so glad you started this blog. I love reading your journey.
BTW, people also told Cory and I we were crazy for getting married when I was 19 and then having 4 children in 4 years.
I totally agree that God often has a plan that is "crazy". We just have to choose to follow it.
Hey Whitney-so glad that you have stepped up to the plate! So many of us (me included) choose to stand on the sidelines and cheer others on when it comes to stepping out of our comfort zone and being obedient to God's calling as his followers. Especially when it comes to doing the "hard stuff" It is a scary place to be at when you are completely reliant on his will and purpose on the outcome for your family and Devin, there is no manipulating or controlling of any kind on your part, just trusting and obeying. We are praying for peace and trust at this time and pray you will have an answer soon!
Valarie
I'm with you Whit...oh how I want to be brave. So excited for you all. I love how God calls us to the good deeds He has prepared for us ahead of time to do and then gives us this unexplainable passion to do these things He has called us to. Don't try to explain yourself of apologize(I only say that b/c I have been there) Just be a fool for Jesus and watch the blessings fall. Love you! (oh, and Val is too modest..she totally stepped up when God told her to :)
Yea, Baby! I can't wait to blog about all that God spoke to me through Gary! And read the book. .hurry girl, I need it!
Thanks for being BRAVE! I love it. . .it just makes my heart swell!
Love you,
Bran
PS Now, you have to put that RLC badge on the bottom of your posts too. .then it will be fed into their feed. . we can work on it on Tuesday!
So well put Whitney! I am so encouraged by you and others that passionately go and do the sometimes hard things God calls us to! I definitely live in the more comfortable zone, but desire to live full out for Him! Thanks for sharing...loved the cute pictures of Devin. Chritie
Post a Comment