Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Lessons That Need Learning

As I wait for the adoption process to slowly wind its way along, I find myself more and more anxious. I understand why people give up and decide that the whole process isn't worth it. The wait is so long and the obstacles and red tape seem unending and insurmountable. Very few things in my life have left me with such a feeling of complete powerlessness and futility.

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord. Psalm 14:1-3

I've read this passage so many times in my life but today the end really has caught my attention..many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.
What it said to me is that people should be coming to have a greater picture of who God is and developing a greater reverence for him after seeing the changes in my life as they watch me wait for God to deliver me out of my trials.

That certainly doesn't characterize my life right now. I want so badly to be able to wait patiently but right now I don't even know what that looks like. My dear friend Brandi challenged me today to learn what Jesus has for me in this low time right now. Please pray that I do...as much as I want this to be over, I don't want to leave this time without learing something amazing about God's love for me or Devin.

Many of my friends and I experience Tropical Storm Faye last week. We had almost 4 days of constant storm and rain which is not typical for Florida. We get short bursts in the late afternoon, but to rain for days on end is unusual. By the end of the week we were all pretty nuts because it just wouldn't stop raining! Late on Friday I saw a report that showed how the storm had helped to relieve our drought situation here in Florida. The rain had brought relief to some seriously thirsty ground! Please pray that as my storm lingers, that God would show me which areas of my life need to be saturated with his love and care and that I would receive it.

I am loving getting to know my boy. He seems much more relaxed and comfortable with every visit. He has joined Erica in seriously giving me grief about clothes and my age and other things that teenagers nag you about. We had a sweet day shopping on Saturday and going to church and dinner on Sunday. I know that someday this trial will give way to a sweet relationship that will last forever.

4 comments:

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

Great post!! This is a lesson that can be transferred to so many areas of life.

Dearest Jessica said...

Great post, I love the analogy about the rain, I so want to be saturated.

thank you for this, it encouraged me today!

Jackie Sue said...

I love how you were able to get the saturation illustration out of good ol Faye. That's a keeper! Use it in your next sermon :) Hang in there...as you well know, it will be so worth it!

Brandi said...

ooooh, you know how I love a good illustration! I'm using this one in the future! Lord, in the storm, reveal to me where you need me to be saturated. . only in the storm can we really get some of these things! Praying for you my sweet friend, that not one moment will be wasted, but that you will learn new and AMAZING things about Jesus. . and share them with us too!

Love you and love being your friend! Many will see HIS glory through you,
Bran