Monday, July 21, 2008

Ok, Just One More Tear-Jerker!

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not an overly-emotional person, but this young man is going to push me over the edge. I had to know how Demetree was doing after his trip to church, being the center of attention and seeming so overwhelmed.

I had made a small care package for him to take home, nothing big, just some blueberry muffins (his favorite), peanut butter balls and a People magazine (Miley Cyrus Special Edition - he loves her!)

This is an exerpt of the email I got from Angela, his wonderful mentor:

On the way to lunch he pulled out the magazine you gave him. He was quite excited about that as well as his favorite goodies you made. He told me, “I am going to put this magazine in plastic and show it to my kids in 30 years.” I told him he might not want to admit the old Hanna Montana crush to anyone 30 years from now. To that he said, “This is my first gift.”

Isn't that sweet? Can you imagine? If I had known, I would have bought something a little nicer!

Sometimes we take for granted the people around us, people who regularly express love to us in so many ways. The fact that Demetree cherishes a magazine because he's not used to people thinking of him and picking up small things causes me to sit back and appreciate the wonderful people that surround my life.

I thank God for Angela and the church that has kind of adopted him and been such a preserving presence in his life!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so sweet!! We are so blessed and sometimes take it for granted! How fun it will be to continue to love on him! Christie

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

Oh my goodness! That definitely IS a tear-jerker! What a sweet moment for him to remember. Aren't you glad you decided to follow through what God called you to?

Kelly said...

You looked absolutley glowing on Sunday!! Glad it went well! He will be a great addition to the family!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. He is just the sweetest boy. I bet you can't wait until you can take him home for keeps! Yes! God Great!!!! Sharon

[kibbe] said...

Whoa. Just wait till I start bringing him home CDs from my friends at work! Do you know what kind of music he likes??

My mind is still being severely blown that when I come home for the holidays that I'll have a NEPHEW!

Brandi said...

LOVE this story! Love the boy already!

And you. . I guess! ha ha

Bran